There are many types of quality wood that are suitable for processing into furniture, one of which is sandalwood. Sandalwood has very distinctive characteristics compared to other types of wood so that it is always in demand.
Want to know more about the characteristics, advantages, and disadvantages of sandalwood for making furniture and other products? Check out the reviews below!
Characteristics of Sandalwood
Some of the characteristics that distinguish sandalwood and other types of wood, namely:
- Sandalwood tree (Santalum album L.) is a parasitic plant that requires a host to live. Due to its parasitic nature, the sandalwood tree breeding process is quite difficult and time-consuming.
- There are two types of sandalwood trees based on their varieties, namely white sandalwood, and red sandalwood. White sandalwood is much sought after because it has a very fragrant aroma compared to red sandalwood. The original habitat of white sandalwood is in the Nusa Tenggara Timur (Indonesia) region, while red sandalwood grows mostly in India and Funan.
- Sandalwood can grow to a height of 11 to 15 meters with a diameter of between 25 and 30 cm.
- The trunk is round brownish, while the inside is brownish yellow.
- This type of tree has red flowers with 4 to 5 petals and round fruit that is purplish-black in color.
- Sandalwood (popularly known as sandalwood) contains 4% -8% essential oil.
Advantages of Sandalwood
Until now, sandalwood is still being hunted by many people because of a number of advantages, including:
- The aroma is so distinctive that it can be used as a base for aromatherapy. This feature is distinctly different from other types of wood which are completely unscented.
- The texture of the sandalwood is very smooth and suitable for furniture. All furniture from this type of wood will look luxurious and unique because it produces a distinctive aroma.
- The characteristic color is very interesting because it is similar to yellow sulfur. This color is very striking and unique compared to other woods which are usually brown and reddish in color.
- The weight is not too heavy so it can produce furniture that is easy to move.
- The rate of shrinkage is low if it is processed properly before it is used as the basic material for furniture.
Lack of Sandalwood
Apart from having various advantages, sandalwood also has several drawbacks that you can take into account. These drawbacks include:
- The size is relatively small when compared to other types of wood (for example, teak wood, which can reach 2 meters in diameter). This size limitation means that sandalwood sheets can only be processed into small furniture. Sandalwood must be joined in such a way as to produce large furniture.
- The price is very expensive because the quantity is scarce and contested by many people.
- The processing of sandalwood to produce quality furniture is also very complicated. This complicated process aims to produce wood that is sturdy, and not easily damaged.
Sandalwood Product Variations Besides Furniture
Besides being suitable as a basic material for furniture, sandalwood is usually also processed into various products, for example:
- The basic ingredients for perfume and aromatherapy oil.
- One of the raw materials for skin care products that functions to smooth skin and remove black spots naturally.
- Herbal medicine is useful for treating dysentery, anti-inflammatory, and cleaning the uterus after menstruation.
- Craft materials such as prayer beads, fans, and bracelets.
- Window and door frames.
If you like natural soothing scents, sandalwood furniture can be the right choice to enhance the interior of your home. Choose the best furniture that is strong, durable, and according to your taste and family.